As an Engineering and Technology field of specialization Electrical and Computer Engineering department is trying to produce one of the world-class Electrical and Computer Engineers.
More than 32 senior academic staffs and well-furnished workshops and computer laboratories will be waiting for students who are going to join Haramaya University, Haramaya Institute of Technology. Currently, our staffs are perusing their PhD and MSc in South Africa, India and in Ethiopia in different field specializations. These large numbers of staffs are by now supporting the HU projects such as power distribution in the university; in research works; teaching students & developing one of the best curriculums that focus on Science & Technology in the country at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
The core Strategy of the ECE is to pursue its vision and mission to enhance its research, linkage with industry, academic and scholarly activities and become a center of excellence for its programs, thereby improving its eminence in national and international rankings. Now, this department has four programs. The final names of these programs were decided on ECE as:
- Computer Engineering
- Communication Engineering
- Industrial Control Engineering
- Electrical Power Engineering
These programs found under the department of Electrical and computer Engineering have been serving the country and also working together with the University’s reputation. The departments containing these programs have trained significant number of Electrical and Computer Engineers, computer programmers & systems developers who can play key roles in the various sectors of development in the country.
The core strategy of the department is to pursue with the universities vision and mission in enhancing its research, university-industry link, academic and scholarly activities and become a center of excellence for its programs, thereby improving its eminence in national and international rankings. ECE aspires to excel in research, teaching, and industry linkage/consultancy at a national level. Moreover, we are attempting our best in producing competent engineers within in the aforementioned programs that can solve pressing problems of industries, business organizations & societies.
To produce a world-class competent Electrical and Computer Engineers who are equipped with necessary skills and knowledge to solve individuals and organizational problems of the country and bring about growth to the whole world.
To excel in teaching, research, and industry linkage/consultancy at a national level as well as regionally in the field of Electrical and computer Engineering
To its students, ECE provides world-class curricula that facilitate student-centered and laboratory-based learning in Electrical and computer Engineering field that are relevant to their lives and careers, valuable in terms of content and competencies, and connected to the needs of industry.
To industry, ECE produces practitioner-oriented electrical engineers with the field of specialization in power, communication and control, computer engineers, who can provide plausible scientific solutions to real world problems. ECE actively partners with industries to provide students the opportunity to acquire practical skills from industry expertise.
Objective of ECE
- To direct and assist students in the acquisition of fundamental principles of electrical, control, power, communication engineering and computer engineering.
- To stimulate and encourage students to have sound practical knowledge of the fields, through project work and evaluation.
ECE prepares students to:
- Design different problem solving principles and techniques in the area of electrical engineering
- Understand and apply high-level tools and emerging technologies
- Apply various systems’ theory and principles to real world problems
- Develop communication skills to effectively interact with customers, supervisors and peers, both orally and in writing
- Learn to work effectively in teams to achieve a common goal
- Develop skills to monitor, supervise, manage projects and handle conflict
- Understand ethical expectations of a computing professional
Dr. Ayele Nigussie Legesse(PhD)
Asst. Professor of Electrical Engineering
AHoD, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at University of KwaZulu-Natal,Durban, South Africa